Garlic Shrimp Mac and Cheese (Prawns)
1 tbsp olive oil, 500g/1lb peeled medium shrimp/prawns (if frozen, thawed, patted dry)
50g / 3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk, warmed (full fat preferred but low fat is ok)
2½ cups hot tap water
250g / 2½ cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1½ cups cheddar, gruyere or tasty cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper
Seasonings: 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp mustard powder, ¾ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
Parm topping: Mix 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs, ¼ cup grated parmesan, 1 tbsp oil
1. Preheat grill/broiler on high. Heat oil and 1 tbsp butter in large deep skillet or pot over high heat. Cook prawns 1 min, add garlic, cool until prawns change colour but still raw inside. Remove.
2. Lower heat to medium. Melt remaining butter, add flour and cook for 1 min.
3. Add milk, mix until lump free. Then add water and Seasonings.
4. Add macaroni and mix. Stir occasionally as it comes to heat.
5. Stir regularly as it cooks for 8 until the macaroni is just under cooked. It should still be saucey at this stage and thinner than you want.
6. Take it off the stove and stir the cheese in quickly. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.